Wednesday, January 29, 2014

What's Trending in my World This Week

I'm a little late to the game but I just really got into the Amanda Knox trial. It all started when I heard about "Cartwheel", a fiction book that had similiarities to the Amanda Knox story..a 20 year old American girl in a foreign country accused of murder of her roomate. After reading "Cartwheel", I wanted to know more about the real Amanda Knox story..lucky for me, she had actually written a detailed book (around 500 pages!)..her stay in Italy, the murder, the trial and her time in jail. I found it super interesting..it was really well written.

I am pretty sure she is innocent. There is no DNA evidence of Amanda or her boyfriend at the crime scene (another guy, Rudy Guede, whose DNA was all over the scene and that she had only met once, is serving time in Italy for the murder). It is extremely scary what she went through. First of all, she was only 20!! (She is now like 26). So, very young. She did not think to get a lawyer (note to self GET A LAWYER!), thought she was helping (she and her boyfriend with her with the cops when they discovered the body of her roomate, Meredith) and talked way too much to the cops. They kept twisting her words and basically tortured her into a false confession. That part of the book was what confused me..they made her doubt herself and she knew she had done drugs (pot) that night so she said well maybe I was there. Her aunt continually said call the US Embassy (she didn't). I am sure if I was 20, I would not know what to do either.

She spent about four years in prison which was really interesting to hear about. I just felt so bad for her. Her trial ended in a guilty verdict..but then there was a retrial and it was overturned so she got to come back home to Seattle!! The bad news-in Italy, double jeopardy is okay..so you can be retried again for the same crime! That is so scary..you are declared innocent and they can retry you! Soo what's happening now is they have started yet another trial  (#3); (She is inabsentia, still in Seattle)..if she is declared guilty, they could try to put her back in an Italian prison! That is so scary..you are home, safe in the US, trying to get your education and live your life, and they can take you back to prison! She said she would not go wilingly if this happens.

It's def a scary situation and an interesting story. I do feel she is innocent and I hope she can move on in peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment